Thursday, March 3, 2011

Nova's Bakery

Nova's Bakery is a family owned business started and run by Vlado and Sladjana Novakovic. Opened in 1996, they originally intended to be a wholesale business but they quickly developed a reputation for amazing breads and eventually opened their retail store. Now their storefront is a landmark in the Plaza Midwood neighborhood.

Nova’s is one of my favorite places in Charlotte as well as a staple in my diet. Not only do they make amazing bread from scratch each day on site, most of their ingredients are organic (they are also listed on the website). Their selection includes European breads; pastries like cannolis, cakes, cookies and baklava; and the full range of hot drinks. This is a great place to grab a cup of coffee, use your laptop, or bring a book. I often escape the confines of my office at lunch by grabbing a scone and a cup of their decaf black tea along with my weekly loaf of bread.

I originally fell in love with Nova's when a friend suggested it because they use organic ingredients. Most store-bought breads have high levels of preservatives in them which are difficult for people like me with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) to digest. Nova's breads, however, are made fresh daily and are meant to be consumed shortly after purchase. All unpurchased loaves go on the "day old" shelf the day after they were made and sold at a reduced price so you can tell that everything you buy fresh is just that: fresh. (Hint #1: if you don't think you will use the whole loaf you bought within 3-4 days of purchase, put half of it in the freezer.)

Many people are intimidated by bakeries such as Nova’s because they are not familiar with the somewhat exotic types of bread. Fear no more! Nova’s website has a great glossary of the breads they offer and what each type is best for. A combination of faith in their breads and a dash of adventurousness has led me to some awesome uses for their products. (Hint #2: their cinnamon raisin bread and challah both make amazing French toast!)

My favorite food here: Spinach Feta Scones. I know, I know, spinach is not ideal for people with IBS but they do not have enough spinach to bother me and their scones are amazingly buttery while also keeping with the traditional saltiness. I cannot recommend these little bundles of carbs enough!

Hrs: 7am to 7pm 7days a week
1511 Central Ave., Charlotte, NC 28205

Nova's Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment