Friday, May 20, 2011

Recipes Part 8: Tomato Sauce from Scratch

Tomatoes are going nuts right now at the various markets in North Carolina. Some farmers have had them growing in their green houses and some just got a head start this Spring despite the wacky temperatures we’ve had in this area. Regardless, tomatoes are in and it’s time to find great, easy ways to use them.

I’ve always wanted to try canning but I don’t have a sealer or anything else fancy (as always, if you have any suggestions or tips, put them in the comments!). So my first foray into the world of using tomatoes in a more exciting way than salads and sandwiches was making my own pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes. I’ve put the recipe below that I used but you can vary it a lot and it will still come out well. My herb garden failed horribly (the only thing that came up at all was the cat grass I planted for our cat) so I have no fresh basil but many farmers do so keep an eye out because basil would be delicious in this. Parsley, mushrooms and ground beef could also be added. I used sweet onions and garlic from Houston Farms, tomatoes from Muddy Boots Farm (sold by Windy Hill Farms), and ground pork from Windy Hill.

From Scratch Tomato Sauce (LPO)

4 medium tomatoes (best if a little past ripe)
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or your favorite cooking wine
1 cup onions, chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground pork
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil till just soft
  2. Add tomatoes and vinegar or wine and let simmer covered for 30 minutes
  3. In a separate pan, sauté meat until cooked through
  4. Add to tomato sauce and let simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until some moisture has evaporated
  5. Add salt and pepper as needed
  6. Serve over favorite pasta or bread
Sauce while tomatoes are simmering

Bon appetit!


I served it over capellini pasta with sautéed cabbage from Houston Farms. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment