Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Recipes Part 18: Peach Pie

Peaches have been in for a couple weeks now but I’ve been super busy so I haven’t had time to try my hand at peach pie until now. Though North Carolina is by no means the leading producer of peaches in the South, there are some great orchards in the southwest of the state. The Atherton Market has a temporary vendor, Webb’s Orchard, that is selling peaches by the bag and by the bushel right now and the ones I’ve had have been amazing. I also used Simply Local’s salted butter which was an excellent addition.

Much like the mixed berry pie of several weeks ago, peach pies are super easy to make and incredibly delicious. The original recipe for this pie called for a cup of regular white sugar and it came out way too sweet. My suggestion for an adjustment to the pie is included which will lessen the sugary-sweetness and hopefully provide a better compliment to the peachiness. 

Peach Pie (v)
5 cups peaches
¾ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
2 pie crusts

     1. Pre-mix sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl then pour over peaches
     2. Turn peaches into bottom pie crust and dot with thin slices of butter

     3. Cover with pie crust
     4. Bake at 425 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown
Couldn't even wait to take a picture!

2 comments:

  1. hi Sarah!! I want to use this recipe tonight :) a few questions-how much white sugar? and how much flour? thank you for sharing! Emily fielder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily -

    Great question, I didn't make that clear. I used close to 1 cup of white sugar and the pie came out too sweet so I suggest either using brown sugar or using only half a cup of sugar.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete