Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Recipe: Potato Pancakes

I love fall produce. Winter squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, you name it, I love it. It's great time of year to get into wholesome, tasty comfort food as the weather gets cooler and more and more of the veggies you find at the market come from underground.

One of my favorite of these fall veggies is your basic potato. I could dedicate a whole month, nay, a whole year to great ways to prepare potatoes that involve almost entirely local ingredients. The below recipe we made one night after a long day of hiking Crowder's Mountain and it was super easy, delicious and filling while being vegetarian and almost totally local.

For this recipe we used a basic white potato but I bet it would be really interesting and different to try with sweet potatoes (though you might want to peel them first) or even turnips or squash. You can get potatoes from Fork In It, onions from Lomax Incubator Farm, egg from Windy Hill and even the oil you can get from Ohh-lio Express, all vendors from the Atherton Market which is now open from 11 to 7 on Wednesdays as well as Tuesday's and Saturdays. 

Potato Pancakes (v, LPO)
2 large potatoes
1/2 onion, minced
1 egg
1 tablespoon total of celery salt and seasoning salt
Oil of your choice
  1. Shred potato with a cheese grater
  2. Mix all in a bowl then make 2 inch balls
  3. Heat oil in fry pan and put 1 or 2 balls in and flatten with a spatula so they are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
  4. Heat on both sides till brownish
  5. Place on paper towels to let oil run off

We ate them with Lusty Monk mustard from Simply Local and a fried egg but do what you want with them!

4 comments:

  1. How do you think these would turn out if you cooked them with a calorie-free cooking spray instead of oil?

    Would the consistency be ruined if I chopped the potato in my Ninja food processor instead (I'm lazy)? It would be more of little bits of potato rather than shreds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - I wouldn't use the food processor because the pieces will be really small. The smaller the pieces, the more water is going to be released and the less the pancake will hold together. Cooking spray may work just fine though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know! I will break out the elbow grease and shred them myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...We make potato pancakes (latkes) every year during Chanukah. It also works well with sweet potato, it just needs a slightly longer cooking time.

    Thanks for adding me to your blogroll! I'm working on mine this weekend, I'll be sure to add you too.

    ReplyDelete