1. The House of Olives in Huntersville. This is a relatively new business in the Birkdale shopping center that sells infused olive oils, balsamic vinegars and is the answer to any boring dinner. You might think balsamic vinegar is just for salads but it isn't. House of Olives has fruit-flavored varieties as well as sun dried tomato Parmesan garlic (all one flavor!), chive and dark chocolate. You can taste every type before purchasing and most can be paired with any other. The liquids themselves are made from European olives and some from California but the business itself is local.
2. An easy caramelized onion recipe. I found this recipe after a simple search while trying to spice up some beans and rice. The onions are from Put A Fork In It (who also had some beautiful asparagus on Saturday) at the Atherton Market and the olive oil and vinegar were from House of Olives. The combination may seem a little strange but the sweetness of the vinegar and the kick of the fresh onions was stellar.
Carmelized Onions (V)
2 onions, sliced long-ways
2-3 T olive oil
1-2 T Blackberry Ginger Vinegar
1-2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
- Heat oil in large skillet. When hot, add onions and coat thoroughly.
- Cook for 10 minutes then sprinkle salt, sugar then vinegar.
- Continue to stir onions, recoating every 5 minutes for 45 minutes to an hour.
This would be delicious for fajitas, sausage, or even pasta.