Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Miso Soup Reimagined

One random but tasty thing my nutritionist recommended to help restabilize my bacteria was miso. I don't know much about this ingredient but I do know I love miso soup so I went to my friendly neighborhood Whole Foods who, in my opinion, has the best soup starters out there. I can take very little credit for this recipe which I got off the box but I was able to substitute several local items that you can find at the market. You can still get kale, which I get from the Lomax Farm where they grow it in a greenhouse this time of year, butternut squash for all over (though it has been less successful this year, says the farmers), and shiitake mushrooms from Cotton Barn Mushrooms. These ingredients are for 4 cups of miso broth so the recipe is easily scalable.

Miso Soup (V)
4 cups miso broth
1 handful shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 large handful kale, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup butternut squash, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil as needed for pan
Salt and pepper to taste
  1. Saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms until coated in olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add kale and butternut squash, coating in the oil, cooking for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the miso broth and bring to a boil.
  4. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash reaches desired tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment